My Favorite Fights of 2019...how about yours?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Favorite Fights of 2019...how about yours?

I haven't really studied it, but I can't recall a single year (at least since I've started watching) with so many great fights. So many sports fans (at least where I live in the upper Midwest USA) literally think boxing died years ago. They have no clue what they are missing.

#5 - Jose Ramirez over Maurice Hooker
What a war!

#4 - Andy Ruiz over Anthony Joshua (1st fight)
Epic upset that will be talked about for many, many years.

#3 - Manny Pacquiao over Keith Thurman
I remember thinking that Thurman was sort of cherry-picking with a 40 year old Pacquiao. As the fight got closer I began to think a little differently, but few predicted Manny jumping into a time machine and fighting like he was 10 years younger!

#2 - Josh Taylor over Regis Prograis
Was rooting for Prograis, but Taylor earned my respect for coming out on top of this UK vs USA war. A sensational fight worth watching multiple times. When you consider Hooker and Ramirez as well, this makes me wish Bud Crawford would come back to 140 if he isn't going to (or can't) fight anyone meaningful at 147.

#1 - Monster Inoue over Nonito Donaire
I think if these two would have been born 1000 years ago they would have met on the battlefield as Samurai warriors in an epic clash. I don't think anyone besides Inoue could have beaten Donaire on this night. Skill level was off the charts. Inoue's stock goes up and Donaire's legacy actually improves with the gutsy performance against one of the lb-for-lb best in the sport.

Honorable mentions:

Vasyl Lomachenko over Luke Campbell
Hats off to Luke, he fought a great fight.

Julian Williams over Jarrett Hurd
I like both these guys and they put on a great show. Class acts.

Errol Spence over Shawn Porter
Porter seems to always bring his A-game against the A-listers.

GGG over Dereyanchenko
Had the feel of a 1950's middleweight battle. Who wants to fight Dereyanchenko? Not fun!

Agree? Disagree? Who did I forget? Your favorites?

Re: My Favorite Fights of 2019...how about yours?

#5 Ramirez-Hooker
#4 Inoue-Donaire
#3 Spence-Porter
#2 GGG-Derevyanchenko
#1 Taylor-Prograis.

Taylor vs Prograis was FOTY IMO.
Joshua vs Ruiz I was the upset of the year.
Round 11 of Inoue vs Donaire was ROTY.

Taylor vs Prograis was FOTY IMO.
Joshua vs Ruiz I was the upset of the year.
Round 11 of Inoue vs Donaire was ROTY.
GGG vs Derevyanchenko was robbery of the year with Soto vs Heno as the runner up.

Honorable mentions for FOTY: Jose Ramirez vs Maurice Hooker, Francesco Patera vs Domenico Valentino, Mario Barrios vs Batyr Akhmedov, Errol Spence Jr vs Shawn Porter, Joshua Franco vs Oscar Negrete, Tramaine Williams vs Yenifel Vicente, Shawn Porter vs Yordenis Ugas

2019 was an amazing year. Several classics produced in my honest opinion. No particular order, my favorites would have to be
Errol Spence Jr. vs Shawn Porter
Naoya Inoue vs Nonito Donaire
Julian Williams vs Jarrett Hurd
Jermell Charlo vs Tony Harrison 2
Jean Pascal vs Badou Jack
Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman
Josh Taylor vs Regis Prograis
Artur Beterbiev vs Oleksandr Gvozdyk
Jose Ramirez vs Maurice Hooker
Emanuel Navarrate vs Isaac Dogboe 2 (a bit too lopsided to be a FOTY contender, but still epic)

not one mention for Doheny v Roman... now mentioned
also Ritson v Davies jr